Thank you for successfully scheduling your appointment!
Please check for your confirmation email. We will send you email reminders 72 and 24 hours before your appointment.
Please click the links provided for further clarification.
FIRST: Patients must qualify for a medical marijuana prescription according to the New York State Qualifications regarding Medical Marijuana Certification which lists specific conditions (see below).
We will call you to ensure that you qualify for NYS Medical Marijuana Certification. We reserve the right to refuse any patient for non-compliance.
1) Patients must be a valid citizen residing in the State of New York and can readily provide an authentic form of New York State identification as a proof of residency. If in the event that a patient does not have a valid New York I.D. card, there is the potential that the state will accept a U.S. passport or another other form of photo identification that features the patient’s proof of residency on it. Examples of possible forms of identification may include a bank statement or even a utility bill.
2) Patients are required to obtain medical records or legitimate health documentation that outlines a specific medical diagnosis. A patient’s health records are an extremely important component of this process and should be transferred over to the recommending doctor’s office prior to a patient’s first visit.
3) Patients must also obtain a written certification from a healthcare practitioner that is licensed to practice and recommend medical marijuana in the State of New York. Patients must also take into consideration that establishing a long-standing and bona fide relationship with the recommending physician is an essential factor in determining if alternative medicine is the right treatment option.
4) For full approval into the New York State’s medical marijuana program, an application for a New York medical marijuana card must be filled-out and submitted to the appropriate state authority. This is the final process before the actual obtaining of the card. Once a patient has received their New York medical marijuana card or temporary authorization, they are then able to find a legitimate safe-access source.
New York State Marijuana Protocols requires you to:
Have an initial office visit to establish a Physician – Patient relationship.
- Please bring with you, a letter from your PCP / Specialist’s on their letter head proving your diagnosis, most recent laboratory tests and X-ray, CT or MRI studies that support your diagnosis, if applicable.
- One to two weeks later, a follow up office visit will be scheduled. At this time, if qualified, you will be registered in the New York State Marijuana Certification Program.
- A temporary certificate will be provided to you with instructions for completing the registration process.
- Upon completion, New York State will mail to you a New York State Marijuana certification card valid for one year.
Dr. O’Brien will:
1 ) Conduct a routine History and Physical Exam.
2) After confirming a qualifying serious condition, determine if the patient is likely to receive therapeutic or palliative benefit from the primary or adjunctive treatment with medical use of marijuana.
3) Consult the prescription monitoring drug program registry for the purpose of reviewing a patient’s controlled substance history.
4) Give the certification to the certified patient, and place a copy in the patient’s health care record.
Please see Certification restrictions.
Additional Office Protocols:
- A one month follow up will be required to discuss your medication.
- A urine toxicology screen will be performed.
- Depending on your needs, every two to three months, a follow up with a urine toxicology screen will be required.
Please remember that unlike other doctors, we do not double or triple book appointments. Each time a patient misses an appointment without providing proper notice, another patient is prevented from receiving care.
Therefore, the office of Dr. Thomas G. O’Brien reserves the right to charge a fee of $75.00 for all “no show” appointments and appointment which, absent a compelling reason, are not cancelled with 24 hour advance notice. Our office will contact you a day or two prior to your appointment to confirm your scheduled visit. More info on our cancellation policy…